A fly fishing enthusiast for over twenty years, as a youngster John honed his skills on steelhead in the Trinity river and wild trout in Northern California. He worked for Orvis as a fishing manager and instructor of fly fishing schools in the Reno area. While in Reno he also taught fly fishing schools for the Nevada Department of Wildlife. John graduated from the Clearwater Lodge Guide School in 2009 and has been guiding for the Lodge during trout season since then. He moved back to Reno to pursue the amazing fisheries in Nevada while still guiding for Clearwater during their season. While guiding there he was able to put his clients on many trophy cutthroat of twenty plus pounds at Pyramid Lake. John recently moved back to Northern California to pursue the Steelhead and trout of this amazing area. His calm and patient demeanor, teamed with intimate knowledge of the rivers and lakes that he guides, makes him a perfect fit for any angler. Whether you are looking for an introduction into the sport or are an expert angler, John promises that you will always learn something from him while on the water.


Clearwater Lodge

John guides at Clearwater Lodge during California Trout Season, which runs the end of April through mid-November. Clearwater Lodge offers premier lodging and unparalleled wild trout fishing on their area waters. Some notable rivers fished from Clearwater Lodge are the Pit River, Hat Creek, Fall River, and McCloud River. If you are interested in booking a trip with John at Clearwater Lodge, please contact the lodge directly.

Valentine Atkinson is the most famous, and renowned fly fishing photographer ever. I have become good friends with him over the last five years and he is definitely one of my favorite people ever. His photographs are truly spectacular and he has been kind enough to let me use them on my website. If you want an amazing photo go check out his site.


John exclusively uses Redington rods and reels on all of his guide trips. Redington offers high quality gear that we are confident our clients will love using, and that we know we can depend on.

Please reload


Copyright © 2017 John Fochetti Fly Fishing